Tuesday, May 31, 2011

5 days left...

In 'regular' life, when you are participating in a special event, you buy new clothes, new shoes, get a new hairstyle, and so on.  In triathlon, it's the opposite.  You should not do anything in the race that you haven't done before, many times before.  You definitely can't wear anything new, nor eat anything differently, no new sneakers, no new socks.  Sometimes it can be easy to forget and fall back into
'regular' life customs.  What's wrong with a nice new piece of clothing to use in the race?  It would be great to buy a new outfit and 'save' it for the big event; have pretty new bicycle shoes.  In my struggles with swimming, I've come to the conclusion that I would be better off using nose clips, especially in choppy water.  This may be true or not, but I am having to restrain myself from trying this for the first time in this race coming up. 

Imagine applying triathlon rules to regular life?  You'd have to wear your wedding dress several times to make sure it's comfortable as you walk down the aisle.  Your prom outfit is one where you know you can zip in and out of as quickly as possible. You start school with a used notebook and pen.  You want them well worn, so you don't have any unexpected distractions while listening to the lecture.  This actually, doesn't sound half bad.  It kind of reinforces the idea that what I already have is good enough, that I'm ready, and I don't have to do or buy anything new in order to show up at the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment