Monday, May 2, 2011

Cat 3 Ride

I found a Category 3 hill just outside my home in Canadensis, PA. I remember years ago trying to go out for a bike ride and of the 2 routes that I tried, I couldn't go beyond 1/2 mile due to the steepness of the hills. Since that time I had never ventured back out on my bike in the Pocono roadways.



Recently I started using MapMyRide to be able come up with routes near my home that were reasonable distances and challenging but manageable in terms of hills.


Using MMR, I found out that my Prospect Park Hill that I was so proud of getting faster on is so small that it did not even register in the hill categories of MMR! The categories range from Category 5 up through Category 1 and then 'HC' being the most difficult. I don't know what HC stands for - maybe "Holy Canoli!"

Anyway, I mapped a 25 mile route that started out with this Cat. 3 hill in the first 5 miles. I added 4 warmup miles going in another direction and then proceeded on my way.

I was scared/ nervous before I started and remained so after I started the hills. This training is not only about the physical part but also overcoming the fear. The primary fear is losing momentum and falling. Since I have the clip on pedals, I have to click out BEFORE losing all momentum. The issue here of course is identifying when to push harder and when to click out. Maybe it's faith, maybe it's denial. There are so many things that can happen, at any point in time - and not necessarily in dangerous situations. I can look at any situation and see the potential negative outcomes - but then where would that leave me? I'd never leave my house.


At some point, I looked at my Garmin, and it indicated I was on a 20% grade - is that even possible? I kept pushing. I was breathing very hard and my speed was 4-5 mph pushing as hard as I could on my lowest gear. I made it through most of the hills as they ebbed and flowed upwards. All the hills except what turned out to be the last, and steepest section. Was it because my legs had had it? Or was it the fact that here was a significant increase in the number of cautionary yellow curve signs, and hence, my fear. I started trying to click out of my right pedal but could not get the strength to twist right while pedaling forward. When coasting, clicking out is not an issue.

A few issues converged here. This part of the road was very curvy, so cars would see me at the last minute and if I fall, I fall to the left, with my head furthest out into the road...

I was not able click out of the pedal. I was able though, to pull my foot out of my shoe. A light bulb went off in my head this morning: I have to figure out how to change my balance so that I fall to the right, instead of the left - so if I ever have to fall, it would be safer. What a concept!



The other side of going up hills is coming back down. I maxed out at 30mph at one point - very scary! It's hard to let go and just let gravity lead me down a hill. I wouldn't be able to brake if something were to cross my path; or if I got a flat; or who knows what else could happen. In one area, I came into a ridiculous head wind that was very scary. If it had been coming at me from the side, I think I would have been blown off my bike. I have to maintain some sense of control over my situation, although again - does a person ever have control. There is a wide swath of 'gray area' where careful planning and recklessness overlap. It remains careful planning when it works out; and when it doesn't, it becomes 'recklessness'.





-- lemmefineout - Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment