Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Being cold

No one ever told me that doing triathlons meant being cold so much of the time. Yes, I have trained through the winter, running the Manhattan Half marathon in January in 15 degree weather; yes I biked to that same race; along wih other races - a 15k in December; where my toes felt they would fall off; and yes; I drank the Gatorade slushies that had frozen on the tables. And yes; I took that Computrainer
class, weekly every Tuesday at 6am; where I'd bike down to Ride Brooklyn in my winter attire and then sweat bullets riding on the trainer for 60 minutes. I learned the trick of putting my feet in sandwich baggies (without zip locks) and then 2 pairs of socks. This did the trick most of the time while biking.

I thought all that was over. I thought that my toes would have a respite from the cold for the next 6 months at least. I'm afraid I found out otherwise yesterday. My toes are facing yet another cold hurdle - open water swimming...

I heard someone talking about their recent tri. The water was 57 degrees 'but it felt good because the air was 45 degrees'. Later she added ' I did not feel my feet for the rest of the race'

Now, do I really need to know that?! How does ine prepare for something like this?


-- lemmefineout - Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment