Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fear

Today, I'm due to swim. I have a fear that I will not follow through. For some reason I will not be able to make it and thus, ruin my training. This is not an unfounded fear, as there have been plenty of times over the years where I resolve to do something and promptly forget or fail to follow through despite remembering. I also know, of course, that one missed swim will not really ruin anything. The problem however, as with eating (i also have this problem), I can say 'one doughnut won't hurt'; but that ends up becoming a series of donuts; and missing a workout becomes a series of missed events.

I recently read something about 'hope' and 'hopelessness'. The writer spoke about the need to eliminate 'hope' because it is in the future and does not involve any action. It would be better to remain in the present focusing on the 'next step' rather what could or should happen.

-- lemmefineout - Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment