Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Am I a Lemming?

Last night, I went to my first swimming class, coordinated thru Jack Rabbit Sports store. It was a very good class; there were excellent directions on how to get to the pool - except they failed to mention one little detail - that it was in the projects. I walked down Delancey Street, checking and rechecking my email on my phone, making sure that I was going the right way. When I saw the projects looming ahead of me, I located the address with my GPS because something did not seem right about heading into the projects. It was very odd to experience this - a lone woman, walking thru the projects looking for a pool. Anyway, being a city girl and very familiar with 'bad' neighborhoods, it was fine and I got to the pool along with probably 15 to 20 other people.

Why do I think I'm a lemming? Well, the reason is that the pool was brackish - it smelled like stale, old water (the closest smell I can think of is the water you throw out from a flower vase way after the flowers have died) and there was a tiny whirlpool of weird looking foam in one corner of the pool and I just jumped right in. Who am I to make a fuss? I'm new. I don't know. Everyone else is jumping in...

The class was good, I feel I learned a lot in just this one class. Although I didn't say anything at the time, I did write an email to the powers that be this morning. So I suppose I'm only a part time lemming.

No comments:

Post a Comment