Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What's the Alternative?

The other day I started wondering whether I was cut out for doing triathlons - both physically: do I have the stamina; as well as timewise: it is such a big time commitment. Lately it has been very hard to get in the planned workouts due to the weather. Yesterday morning was my scheduled Computrainer class, but did not go due to the snow that had just fallen. i did go running however, so I suppose that was balanced out. Last week I didn't go, probably due to the weather as well, but I don't recall. I was in Florida, visiting my mother for 5 days. I did manage to get 2 runs in, but I did not swim as I had planned - the pool was not open due to the cold weather - it was consistently around 60-65 degrees. I had my wetsuit, but the beach had no lifeguard, so didn't want to risk it.

So, after some missed scheduled workout, I felt bad about myself and pondered the question of whether I was cut out for triathlons. "a real triathlete would have gotten themselves to the Computrainer class"

"a real triathlete would have no fear" - of snow, of falling or getting hit by a car.

I am not sure what the correct response to those statements would be, but A little lightbulb went off in my head when I realized 'what's the alternative?'.

Triathloning is a lifestyle. Having the goal of doing well in a triathlon involves discipline in exercise as well as in nutrition. Triathloning gives me a way of measuring my progress; of focusing my exercise routine to meet the goal of triathlon. Wondering whether I am cut out for triathloning is putting the cart before the horse - 'am I cut out to exercise and eat right?'. The answer is very clear when the question is posed that way.

Question: "Am I cut out for triathloning?"
Answer: "if the answer is no, What's the alternative?"


-- lemmefineout - Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment