Friday, February 25, 2011

Al Gordon Classic 4 mile



Tomorrow, I will be running in the Al Gordon 4mile race in Prospect Park. I am planning on biking before the race. I want to bike at least 10 miles, but ideally I would like to bike 20 miles. Twenty miles is 6 loops of the park, which should take me 15-16 minutes per loop - so about 1 1/2 hours. I'm hoping that time per loop is less now that I have been doing the biking in the Computrainer as well as the spinning classes.
Right now, it is 10:15 pm, the night before this race. Just came back from walking the dogs and it is frigid cold right now. I have set out my clothes, and my gu gels. I want to take it easy on the bike - 'zone 2'; and I want to be able to do less than an 11mm pace in the run. I am confident I can do that in the run but what is disturbing me is that I really want to go less than a 10 mm, which I don't think I'm ready for yet. Still, it is gnawing at the back of my mind. I want to treat this as a training event, not a race. I will need to keep this in mind as I am running. I am running with my heart rate monitor, so this is an added ingredient in my training repertoire that will be interesting to experience how it feels while doing these things tomorrow.

I am posting this now to increase the likelihood that I will do it. Also, I would like to document how my perspective changes pre and post events. Much of the struggle is not the physical, but the mental gymnastics that I go through trying to get through the day and the week of training and exercise. Dealing with the unknown outcome is another part of this that is difficult. It is so easy to look back and say 'this was great' but prior to the event, there are many more unknown variables that can overwhelm a person (namely me) into inaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment