Monday, April 18, 2011

New Things

Just as I was going to start writing on my chosen topic, I hesitated, thinking that if anyone were to be reading this, they wouldn't want to read about insecurities regarding people; people would only want to read about things directly related to triathlon - maybe even fears, but not 'lack of social skills' or feelings of ineptness at club meetings. But, that is a big thing for me and could potentially interfere in
my ability to get needed support to do or progress in triathlon. It's also a big issue for me because in the past, I have tended to progress only as far as I could while being self- sufficient; reading about my chosen endeavor; watching instructional videos; and maybe even taking a class. Socializing is a plus, an extra that I just plain do not do. Now, in triathlon, I've read; I've watched instructional videos; I've even joined a swim class and a Computrainer class. But still, there is this other aspect of triathloning that is just as, if not more important, and that is people. I have my partner, who is very supportive and encouraging. I don't know how I would do what I've been doing without her supporting me. There is though, the part that requires me coming out of myself into the larger world. I need to learn how to 'wear life like a loose garment'.

The other day; in some group activity that I was attending, I got this onslaught of compliments 'you rock' 'you looked great the other day', amongst other things. I didn't know how to respond! I tried hurling compliments back but I really didn't know what to say! 'you rock' 'you're fabulous!' 'you're the bee's knees!' 'you're a tri machine!' 'you're a tri goddess!'. Like I said, I need to wear life like a loose garment. Compliments are not snowballs. I don't need to duck. Maybe I can let compliments drift onto my shoulders like snowflakes that don't last too long after landing. No big deal; snowflakes not snowballs. Or, better yet, I can say 'thank you, thank you very much' ( elvis style ).
-- lemmefineout - Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment