Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Next countdown/ learning from mistakes

I spent a week in Florida, contemplating exercise. My plan had been to exercise every day, without the obstacle of work. It didn't work out that way though. I spent most of my time doing nohing but sit in front of the computer.

There are approximately 16 weeks, 4 months left to the Poconos Half Ironman. I have to hunker down and get busy with a training plan. I made a few mistakes just prior to this last triathlon on June 5th which I need to look at so as not to repeat them. What I have noticed with triathletes is how they deal with training / racing mistakes and foibles. Failures are closely examined to find the core issues so as not to repeat them.

First of all, I tapered for the Brooklyn Half Marathon on May 21st, and then I ran minimally after that. Part of planning your race season, it's important to identify your 'A' races, 'B' races and 'C' races. What this impacts mainly, is your taper before the race. This became unclear just prior to the Black Bear, and I suppose just prior to the Brooklyn half. Everything became an 'A' race. The reality is that the Poconos HIM is my A race. The black bear and nyc tri's may be B races. What this means is that I should not have tapered for the Brooklyn Half, and minimal taper for these smaller tri's that are meant as training events for
the Poconos HIM.


-- lemmefineout - Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment