Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Nutrition Pt. 1

Now that I have finished the Poconos Half Ironman, 69.1, I 've been focusing on losing weight over the next 6 months.  Ideally 10 lbs, but I'd be happy with anything.  I had lost 40 lbs and have been able to maintain it for about 1 1/2 years now.  I have not wavered more than 1-2 lbs up or down - so this makes it the most successful weight loss I have ever had. All other times I lost weight, I quickly regained it back once I stopped 'dieting'.  I am grateful for having been able to stay at this weight and not regain the weight lost, but I am also frustrated that I have plateaued at this weight and have not been able to move further down. 

Since my last post, I have wanted to write about nutrition for women; for women in triathlons.  I found various sources of information and although there were some consistent bits of information, there was also varied opinions about nutrition/weight/loss.  Some are very detailed and scientific looking, but it is hard for me to translate talk of grams and ratios and know how that translates to what I should eat.  I am not a nutritionist, but I wanted to write down what I  have gleaned from everything that I have read as well as from my own experience.

In order to lose weight, you have to eat less.  Eat less, but not so much that you are starving.  Eating from 250 up to 500 calories less than what is needed daily is the general guideline.  This is a guideline I saw often for people that are training for races as it is not extremely painful to do, especially if you are exercising.

Guessing at your calorie consumption is impossible.  Using a handy log helps raise consiousness of exactly what you are eating.  I use the LoseIt app on my iphone.  It is excellent, and handy since I usually always have my phone with me.

The only day you have is today, and the only meal you have is the one that is just about to happen.  You can't lose weight on the meal you will have tomorrow, nor will you get anywhere berating yourself for what already has been eaten.  I have used all sorts of mental tricks and excuses to justify eating what I shouldn't, putting the healthy eating off until tomorrow. That never works.

Eating well is a lifestyle change.  Included in this lifestyle change is all the food you love to eat, just less often and/or less of it.  Getting to know your body, and what it says to you  -you can enjoy your food and lose weight too.  While in weight loss mode (as opposed to maintenance) you may have to be more strict with yourself regarding your favorite foods.  The bottom line though, is the number calories you consume.

You need to find out about how food is made. What are you really eating? Read Michael Pollan's books: The Omnivore's Dilemma. If the food you are eating did not exist 100 years ago, it probably has less nutritional impact than more 'modern', processed foods. If there is less nutritional impact, your body will continue to crave until you give it what it wants. 
Cravings are your body's way of telling you what it needs.  If you feed it junk, low quality food, or very processed food, it will continue to request what it needs until it is satisfied.  If you were able to season and cook styrofoam to make it taste extroardinarily delicious - your body would not feel satisfied and crave more, despite also feeling very full. 

Processed food is the crack of all food - a brief burst of good feelings followed by depression.  Find the coca leaves version of your food, and you'll be ok.  The more organic, natural it is, the more satisfying it will be without the highs and lows and less hunger overall.

You are not only what you eat, but what you eat, eats.  It's difficult to learn about all of this but there is no alternative if you want to eat consciously.

Avoid liquid calories, they are the easiest to eliminate from your diet.   From the obvious unhealthy sodas to the 'healthy ' juices unless you make them yourself.

Avoid high fructose corn syrup.  Look for it on all labels -both sweet and non-sweet items.  If you focused just on this one diet change, you would probably lose weight.

Exercise does not give you a get out of jail free card, but it helps.  On two separate occasions, a few years ago, I tried commuting to work on a regular basis.  On the mornings I'd bike to work, I'd treat myself to a 'Morir Soñando' - a mix of orange juice and milk.  I would slowly and steadily start gaining weight.  It took a long time to figure out that the amount of calories in my after exercise treat, was way more than the calories lost during exercise.

Eat breakfast like a king; lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. ( and this does not include the $1 menu!)

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment