Sunday, July 10, 2011

First 60 mile ride

Today I went on my first 60 mile ride in years.  I went from home in Park Slope /Windsor Terrace, over the Brooklyn Bridge, up the West side bike path; over the George Washington Bridge, up 9W and stopped just about 3 miles short of Piermont, at a market/cafe that was right there on 9W.  Right before getting to this market, I had started going down these seriously steep hills, and thought with much trepidation that I was going to have to come up them very shortly.  I was not looking forward to it after seeing someone walking up the hill.  Fortunately though, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, coming back up the hill.  This is a good thing.

Here is a link to my Garmin map, showing the route:
60 mile ride

I can't imagine running 13.1 miles after a ride of this distance, yet this is what I will be doing on October 2nd, at the Pocono Half Ironman.  I'm just taking it a day at a time, if I am diligent, I will get there.  I suppose.

I have been working my training schedule differently these last few weeks.  Originally, I had made a very detailed, 6 month long training schedule that I agonized for a long while, looked at it for 1 week and then never looked at it again after that.  These past few weeks I have been making a weekly plan.  On Sundays, I make my plan for the following week, based on any particular events going on that week and also influenced by my experience of the week(s) before.  This process helps, because then I can remember why I didn't do a particular workout - the weather; a work event that I have to attend, whatever.  Otherwise, if I look at it weeks later, I just see that I didn't follow through and get down on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment