Sunday, October 24, 2010

Making the Decision

I made the decision to run the 'first ever' Pocono Half Ironman sometime this past week. This decision is like a line in the sand, although there is no line, and there is nothing really different: the day after this decision is essentially pretty much like the day before this decision. The part that is different is putting my two feet over that proverbial line-in-the-sand. I am the Queen of half-measures; starting but not completing projects. This Half Ironman is different. You can't really 'just do it'. You really have to train; otherwise most likely you won't finish; get injured; or be pretty immobilized afterwards... On second thought - those are possibilities even if you do train!

Exercise and these types of goals are my spiritual practice. I need something concrete like this to keep me moving forward towards a goal. Tell me I need to run 15 miles in a week or in a day; I can do that. Tell me to pray, and I get lost - I don't know what to look for - am I getting better? How do I go faster? These types of questions just don't work with prayer or more 'traditional' ways of getting closer to a higher power.

Actually, I have to be honest or more honest, I should say. I'm also bad at being told I need to run 15 miles in a week or in a day.. I'm the type of person that tries to change the schedule; tries to go faster; or going longer than planned for the day. I change the plan at the last minute - Not out of necessity, for example - due to inclement weather, or being sick, but just sheer laziness, or some self-defeating behavior/self-sabotage, procrastination... or even excitement. "Stick with the Plan" will be my mantra for the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment